I surprisingly had never heard of the 5/25 rule until a cursory reference in Medium blog post I read this morning. After some Google research (I now it isn’t pure science so I shouldn’t call it research) I discovered enough to create a paraphrase.
Warren Buffett’s 5-Step Process for Prioritizing True Success
1. Know what you want – List your top 25. List the top 25 things you to do in the next 1000 day.s Just jot down anything that comes to mind as being important to you that isn’t currently a part of your life. (I will take today to create my list).
2. Pick your Top 5. Review each item and circle the top five that are most important.( As soon as my list is complete and when things are fresh, I will rank the top 5)
3. Make your Top 5 Plan. Begin working on Top 5 immediately. What do I need to learn, acquire? Who do I need to enlist? What do I need to get rid of?
4. Commit to your priorities. Once the Top 5 plan is in place – this becomes the single minded focus of every day.
5. Know your ‘Avoid at all Cost List‘ and stick to it. Anything that didn’t make the 25 list and the other 20 that didn’t make the Top 5 are avoided at all cost until a space opens in the Top 5 because I have achieved something there.
The 5th step seems the most difficult to me but I will give it my best.
Make Today Remarkable, by creating your 25,